Welcome to the Memphis Garden Club!

Mission and Purpose

The purpose of the Memphis Garden Club shall be to advance and encourage the knowledge and practice of horticulture; to promote an active interest in flower arranging and in the design and development of gardens; to aid in conservation of trees, native plants and wildflowers; to aid and carry on scientific and educational activities in these areas; to cooperate in civic improvements; and to further the projects of The Garden Club of America.

Brief Club History

The Memphis Garden Club (MGC) was formed in 1921 and became a member of The Garden Club of America (GCA) in 1925. Mrs. J. P. Norfleet, founder, served as the first President.

Horticulture, conservation and civic improvements have been the primary focus of The Memphis Garden Club. Horticulture programs have included propagation, plant identification, bulbs and participation in the GCA plant exchange. The horticulture committee takes a large, and valuable part in the Flowers and Art shows.

Our civic improvements include horticulture, garden design, and development projects at the Memphis Botanic Garden, The Dixon Gallery and Gardens, and Meeman-Shelby Forest.

The primary Ways and Means project of the Memphis Garden Club is “The Mid-South Garden Guide“. This book serves as an effective educational instrument and encourages good gardening. Originally published in 1954, the guide is presently in its sixth edition with over 64,000 copies having been sold throughout the United States.

Website concept design and graphics created by
Chuck Mitchell of Mitchell Creative